If the Swan 65 ‘Sayula’ introduced the world the Nautor’s Swan during their triumphant victory at the first Whitbred round-the-world race, then Swan 80-007 Alpina reconfirmed the dominance of Nautor’s Swan in the 21st Century. Originally launched as Favonius, she is one of the most recognizable yachts ever built having competed and won the majority or key regattas around the world. Her Stars’ and Stripes blue hull, black hi-modulous carbon mast and custom Harken deck hardware give her a menacing appearance on the water yet the fine German Frers lines offer a subtle beauty hidden behind the striking flare and powerful sailplan.
Under her current ownership, Alpina has been classified by MCA for charter and proven a successful regatta charter yacht. As expected from a Nautor’s Swan yacht, she features all the amenities one would envisage on a world-class cruising yacht such as air conditioning, watermaker, refrigeration and a beautifully hand crafted teak interior.
During the summer of 2016, Alpina underwent a substantial maintenance period where the following works were carried out:
- Old teak deck removed and replaced with new 10mm teak deck. Sanded to 9mm. The teak is of very high quality.
- Glass on hatches removed and re-designed without the margin boards to give an up to date appearance.
- Winches and deck gear serviced.
- Clear coat repairs on mast, boom and radar mast.
- Transom door removed and delamination repaired. Transom painted and a new graphic for the name.
- Paint repairs on bow and around chafed areas.
- Yacht haul-out and sand blasted. Gel shield primer and two coats of antifouling applied.
- Engine and generator serviced. Propeller serviced.
- Watermaker control panel replaced, new membranes and filters, HP pump serviced. New Low Pressure pump installed.
- Safety equipment for SCV2 revised. Renewed (5 year survey had expired). Code for commercial use with SCV2.
- Tender steering and throttle arrangement replaced.
- Cruising sails serviced by North Sails France, New UV strip installed on the Furling Jib. A zip system installed on three A Sails for racing.
- Engine room ventilation and pressed air system fans replaced.
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning serviced.
With a list of regatta victories too long to summarize, Alpina is a proven winner and her new 3Di mainsail has helped to keep her as competitive as ever, demonstrated by the first place result at the 2014 Heineken regatta. Alpina is available for inspection at her berth in Antibes, France. The berth is also available for sale by separate negotiation.